The position of a Firewatch is responsible for watching for fire hazards in the workplace while work is performed by other employees in client facilities. A Firewatch performs work toward its projects’ goal of Safety, Quality, Productivity and Service. A Firewatch will perform work as required to maximize the quality of the Company while maintaining the specified expectations of the client and ensure safe working environment while performing work and will conduct all Company business in accordance with Company policies and procedures and maintain professionalism throughout all business dealings, both internally and externally.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Watch for fire hazards in the workplace while work is performed by other employees in client facilities.
2. Check the permit to ensure completion and accuracy before allowing hot work to begin.
3. Make sure the area is free of trash and other combustibles.
4. Monitor the area with an LEL monitor before allowing hot work to begin.
5. Make sure all drains are covered.
6. Maintain a barricade if required.
7. Have a fire extinguisher and/or charged water hose before allowing work to begin.
8. Monitor the combustible source of the hot work to ensure it is not in danger of causing a fire.
9. Maintain spark containment if required.
10. Monitor the surrounding area to ensure there are no hazardous conditions that could harm the workers performing hot work.
11. Immediately evacuate the workers should a hazardous condition occur within the vicinity of the hot work area.
12. Immediately contact the rescue team/fire brigade should a worker become injured or should a fire occur.
13. Monitor the expiration time of the permit and stop the work should the permit expire.
14. Maintain constant means of communication.
15. Inspect entire work area and look for potential release of flammable vapors or liquids before and during each shift.
16. Ensure no smoldering sparks can create fire after hot work is complete.
17. Ensure safe working environment while performing work in the client’s facilities.
18. Maintain communication with Supervisor while performing tasks.
19. Follow all Company Safety, Quality Control/ Quality Assurance procedures and OSHA guidelines.
20. See, read, write and understand communication including directions, instructions and warning signs.
21. Maintain poise and focus under time constraint and adverse conditions.
22. Attend and complete trainings as required by the Company and client.
23. Pass all required drug/alcohol testing and background requirements.
24. Perform other related duties as assigned.
This position will have no supervisory responsibilities.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice that are job-related and consistent with business necessity.
This job operates in a petrochechemical / refinery environment. Exposure to cold working conditions during winter months and hot working conditions during the summer months. Exposure to noise, workers must wear protecting hearing equipment or frequently shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level. In an emergency situation, exposure to hazardous chemicals may occur and the use of a respirator is required. All employees will be required to be fit tested for the various respirators used as well as the ability to successfully pass a pulmonary function test (PFT).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The position of a Firewatch can be extremely physical at times. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required, and for long periods of time to bend, stoop, walk, climb, squat, reach, kneel, push/pull, stand, sit, hand strength and dexterity. A Firewatch will frequently lift up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift more than 51 pounds. Must be able to work in confined spaces. Must be able to work at heights and be able to climb ladders and stairways and work off platforms. Move about on hands and feet, bending body downward and forward bending leg and spine- working in a bent over position. Ability to verbally communicate alarms or warnings clearly, concisely, loudly and quickly. Clearly and quickly hear or otherwise sense alarms or warning and take appropriate action, maintain equilibrium to prevent falling when moving, walking, standing, kneeling or crouching- particularly on narrow, uneven, irregular, slippery surfaces, going up and down ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles or other objects using hands, arms, feet or legs. Sensing physical attributes such as size, shape, temperature, texture or sharpness of an object by touching. Must possess foot agility and dexterity- operating pedals, foot controls, kick bars and other similar tasks that require foot or toe motion. Grasp, grip and/or apply pressure to an object with the fingers, palm, holding an object in the hand. Lift, raise or lower objects in a vertical direction, particularly heavy or bulky objects. Move objects backwards, forward, in or out in a horizontal direction, particularly heavy or bulky objects. Pulling, exerting a steady backward, downward, upward or outward force against an object- jerking, wrenching, stretching, towing, drawing, dragging or tugging objects in sustained motion. Reaching, extending the hand (s) and/or arm(s) in any direction. See, read, write and understand communication including directions, instructions and warning signs. Ability to see and distinguish colors, to visually distinguish shapes and patterns, to accurately sense distances (depth perception), to accurately see objects and detect motion and wide angles (peripheral vision).
Position Type/ Expected Hours of Work
This is a project- based position. Typical days and hours of work are variable/ project dependent. Over-time work is common and may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is expected. Extensive travel throughout U.S. and overnight stay for extended periods of time.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
Stronghold is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Stronghold is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, or any other characteristic that is protected by federal, state or local laws.
Required Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent.
Preferred Education and Experience
Software Powered by iCIMS